Family Dentistry in Germantown
Poplar Pike Dental has been taking care of families for many years. When you think about “family dentistry,” the key idea is prevention. Seeing a dentist as early as possible allows us to create custom, effective treatment plans and lasting, trusting relationships.
Whether your dental needs are a complete exam and cleaning, a full-mouth restoration, or anything in between, we promise to provide you with exceptional care as we enhance the natural beauty of your smile.
Below are just some of the procedures and services we regularly provide to our patients – with a gentle touch and stunning results. Your smile is our priority, and we’ll give you something to smile about.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Registered dental hygienists perform professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) in our Germantown office. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is a hardened plaque left on the tooth for some time and firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stains and plaque not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Your dentist will perform a comprehensive dental exam at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Many people overlook the importance of gum care. The gums play a critical role in the overall health of the mouth. Periodontal disease is the result of an infection within and around the gums. If left untreated, it can spread to the bone!
Swollen, bleeding, or reddened gums are the most common symptoms. Returning your gums to a healthy state is much easier when problems are detected early.
Dentistry for Children
Dental care should be at the top of every parent’s list regarding raising a healthy child. Thankfully, children’s dentistry is an area in which we both excel and enjoy here at Poplar Pike Dental in Germantown.
Regular appointments are key in providing healthy smiles for years to come, from the growth and loss of baby teeth through regrowth during adolescence and adulthood. Also, tooth development challenges are much easier to monitor and correct when children are younger.
A preventive program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and support structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions.
Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
Prevention also includes regular dental exams, cleanings, and X-rays. Sealants and fluoride are also great preventive treatments that help protect the teeth.
Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.